How To Double Cleanse For Healthy Skin
Lotta people ask us, “Hey Go-To! Do I really have to double cleanse? Like really? Also, cute shoes.” And to that we say thanks! And also yes! You do need to double cleanse! But only sometimes. Allow us to explain…
WHAT IT IS
Double cleansing is exactly what it sounds like: You wash your face twice. First with something oil-based like a cleansing oil or balm, then with a water-based cleanser. It’s mega effective, and it gets your face MEGA clean.
HOW IT WORKS
Oil attracts oil! So the idea is to kick off your nightly face party with an oil-based cleanser because they’re able to remove any excess oil, draw out impurities, and dissolve heavy-duty makeup with ease.
Once your oil cleanser gets rid of all that surface stuff, your water-based cleanser is able to go deep. It thoroughly cleanses your pores and prevents any build-up from hanging around and causing congestion.
WHEN TO DO IT, AND WHEN TO NOT
We highly recommend double cleansing in the evening, or anytime your face is slathered in SPF, makeup, primer, and an adorable colony of pastry crumbs.
You can give it a miss in the morning, though. Your skin doesn’t need it! In the AM, your face just needs one, good, gentle cleanse to feel refreshed and ready for your daytime products. (Also a double shot espresso, if you’re offering.)
HOW TO DO IT
A double cleansing routine should go something like this:
- Apply cleansing oil/balm all over your dry face. (Yes, dry.) (Using an oil/balm on wet skin will make it to emulsify too fast, and will be far less effective as a result.)
- Massage all over your face for 60 seconds.
- Take a warm, damp muslin cloth and wipe skin completely clean.
- Follow with a gentle water-based cleanser and massage for another 60 seconds.
- Splash with water and pat dry.
- Carry on with your nightly routine (serums, oils, moisturisers, Love Island) as usual.
WHY TO DO IT
We heard Lizzo does it so you should totally start doing it too.
Or more helpfully, you should double cleanse because it’s a surefire way to ensure your skin is thoroughly clean and stop build up (of dirt, pollution, makeup, etc) from causing dullness, breakouts, and enlarged pores.
Also very good reasons:
– When your pores are clean the products you follow with are better able to sink in deeper and work harder.
– Cleansing oils are mega time-savers. They’re designed to remove impurities, melt makeup, and replenish skin all at once.
– Cleansing oils are suitable for all skin types, and particularly excellent for the oily because they remove excess oil and are 20/10 hydrators. (And as we know, oily skin is very often dehydrated.)
ONE MORE THING
We made the Lizzo thing up.